Rainy Days in Devon
Even in beautiful Devon it does rain occasionally, but that doesn’t stop play! If you are staying at one of our Devon holiday parks this week and are worried about what to do with the kiddies if the rain pours down, then look no further! I am an expert these days in keeping Freddy and Trixie entertained when we are waiting for the sun to come back out and luckily Devon has got plenty of indoor activities to keep everyone happy!
Here are my top 5 rainy days activities in Devon:
1) Arts and crafts - Devon has a colourful art scene and families love painting their own pottery to take home, try Tarka Pottery in Torrington with their unique Potter's Wheel Experience suitable from age 2 to 102, and potters wheel lessons for individuals, families or groups. For adults and older children, The Wharf, an arts centre with theatre, concert hall, cinema and art gallery in Tavistock. Clay Art is a paint your own pottery studio is located in a beautiful part of Plymouth, The Barbican, where the whole family can have fun with their creativity, whatever the weather!
2) Indoor sports – Devon has a huge selection of indoor sports to suit all ages, with indoor climbing walls at the Quay Climbing Centre in Exeter. For family fun try Tarka Tennis in Barnstaple with 6 undercover tennis courts, or indoor bowling such as Tenpin Bowling in the Barbican Leisure Centre in Plymouth. For something completely different try your hand at Dragon Archery in Holsworthy which are all under cover.
3) Head underground – Take a guided tour and find out what it was like to live 10,000 years ago in the Stoneage at Kents Cavern in Torquay, Or try Exeter’s Underground Passages, a fascinating tour through the Medieval pipes built to bring fresh water into the city.
4) Go full steam ahead – Rediscover the age of Steam on a trip through the dramatic North Devon scenery, which allow you to take in beautiful country and coastal scenes from the comfort of a carriage.
5) Get even wetter – Embrace the rain, there are loads of surf schools in Devon for all different abilities and no-one notices the rain when they are surfing because they are having too much fun! Or why not try one of Devon’s many indoor swimming pools - most town’s have them and all of our Devon holiday parks have a swimming pool with a variety of free water based activities including kayaking and Water Walkerz.
Send me pictures of your rainy days activities to my Facebook page.